5/14/09

Queen For A Day! (Princess for a Lifetime)

queen_award.gif

Thank you, thank you... hold your applause please! 

My dear, sweet, beloved friend over at A Fishes Beach Wishes has given me this AWESOME award, because yes, it's true, I am awesome. 

I'm sure you all agree, and need no further details. "We KNOW that, Janice!" I can hear you all saying, with accompanying eyerolls. 

But maybe there's one or two new people here who don't realize my awesomeness. "What makes you so awesome?" 

Well, let me tell you. 

REAONS THAT I AM AWESOME

(in no particular order)

1) I have a beautiful singing voice. 

It's true. Birds say "You sing like a Janice". And what I lack in tone and actual note-hitting-ability, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm. I sing longer and louder than anyone else in the room. I do my best singing in the car. If you ever pass me on the road, look over and admire my tonsils.

2) I never panic. 

Not ever. Never, never. I don't scream on roller coasters, I don't run around during earthquakes.  I was once driving a truck on the freeway, (and in California that means 90 miles an hour) and had the tire blow out and I calmly steered it over to the shoulder. Later my Sweet Babboo commented on how cool I stayed. I am good to have around in an emergency.

3) I love dogs. 

I mean, I LOVE dogs. I love dogs the way other people love babies, or - I don't know - Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Or the Pope. I can tell you what breed your dog is on sight, and if he or she is or mixed heritage, I can tell you what the parents were. I can tell you right now that if I met your dog, I would love it. Like LOVE it. Like baby talk, and butt scratching, and cooing and ear rubbing. And forever more, I would ask about your dog's health and well-being. 

4) I do a WICKED Ethel Merman impression. It's truly something to behold. It should be in that book. I used to have a job as a dispatcher that involved talking over a two-way radio, and I would entertain the boys with my Ethel. They all appreciated it tremendously. Who wouldn't?

5) I can do anything. 

I don't mean that in a Superman-leap-over-tall-buildings kind of way, I mean that my parents raised me to believe that I could do anything I wanted. Excel at anything I tried. For a suburban housewife, my Mother was pretty progressive. She supported me in any hair brained scheme I could dream up. For a girl with three older brothers and no sisters, there was rarely any "But you're a girl!" talk. I played drums in the high school band, I worked at an auto parts store and can change my own oil, brakes, tires, timing belts... just about anything. Because of their support, I approach things as a problem to be solved, not as an obstacle. 

6) I can cook. 

Not that I do it all that often, (it cuts into quilting time!) but I went to culinary school back in the day, and can still whip up a mean meal when I have to. My Chicken Cordon Bleu, my Curried Chicken Walnut Squares, my Lemon Bars will make you weep. From simple pasta dishes to complex desserts from scratch, you'll be coming back for more. I guarantee it. 

What else? Number seven, number seven... how to choose? There are soooo many reasons I deserve this award, how can I choose just seven? It's not fair to you, the reader. But if I have to pick, I guess I'll go with...

7) I have AWESOME friends! 

Every last one of them! I don't know what I did to deserve them, but I'm not going to question it. They keep me going, help me when I'm stuck, encourage me when I'm lost, and bring me back down to earth when my ego gets inflated! 

Thanks everyone! I love you all!

3 comments:

shabby girl said...

OMG!!! You NEVER did Ethel for me!!! I didn't know! On my birthday next year, would you???

You truly are an AWESOME woman! You can DO ETHEL???

I'm not sure I knew you could cook either! Damn!

#8 could be: YOU ARE FUNNY! In a way most people are not!

And #9: You are a most wonderful friend! Love you!

Janice said...

Oh SURELY you've heard my Ethel! How could that be? I've never called you and sung the Chipmunk Christmas song ala Ethel Merman?!? No "Everything's coming up roses"? Not once have you heard Ethyl does Guns and Roses?
I will call you immediately. Make sure your house is grounded so we don't burn out the phone lines.

Magpie Sue said...

Lucky you to have had such an empowering childhood! Congratulations on the award!