9/27/09

SEW and Tell

Well THAT'S better. Not perfect, it could probably stand to have a couple more brown pieces near the bottom, but you know what? I'm ok with this. I am! I AM! Sorry, that wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the voice in my head that's telling me exactly where the next brown piece should go. I'm done. That's the problem with random, it's never really all that random, is it? We say we'll leave it to chance, but if we pull out two of the same thing, we put one back, don't we? That's the fun of quilting, I think.
So there's that. Isn't it pretty fabric?
When I first showed it to the Sweet Baboo, he really liked the colors, and wanted it to be our summer quilt.
Not that we'd need one today, it's somewhere in the neighborhood of fifteen gazillion degrees. Celsius. How hot is the sun? I just Googled it and got ten different answers, so I'm going to say that the surface of the sun is whatever the temperature is today in Boulder Creek. Which Google also tells me is 91, so clearly Google is broken. Someone should look into that.
Back to Neptune! No, not the planet. That sounds like a bad movie starring Tim Allen. Back to Neptune! (cue action music)
I meant Neptune the quilt. More of a Poseidon kind of thing, although did you know that the planet Neptune was named that because of it's blue color? And some giant storm spots. And the old man with a long beard and a huge Trident that they could see with their telescope.
True story.
Ish.
It's not very big yet. I think it's going to need some more rows. And columns. They're 10" blocks, so it's roughly 40" X 60", give or take a seam allowance. I don't think you can really see the circles that the pattern makes quite yet, but I didn't want the blocks to be too small, because, and you might not know this, because I love Neptune fabric so much. I didn't want to chop it up too small.
Because I love it so.
And while we're playing Show and Tell, here's the signature quilt that I'm making for my ex-boss.
If you've been following along at home, you might notice that it's much, MUCH smaller than 192 blocks. It's not that he doesn't have 192 friends, I'm sure he does. It's just that I have the attention span of a fruit fly. A fruit fly with ADD. Although I'm going to try to fight it and add on a couple more rounds. His party is, oh, let's see... SATURDAY!
So I really should get a move on. Nothing like a deadline to get the juices flowing! Or, you know, to push you into paralysis, so that all you can do is stuff Xanax into your tube of cookie dough as you lie on the couch watching Law and Order marathons. It could go either way.
Here's my Sweet Baboo, he's so helpful. Not only is he my official hanger, he also went to Kmart early this morning to get me a new memory card for my camera. a 4GB memory card! And a Mountain Dew.
I'm so spoiled.

3 comments:

shabby girl said...

Your summer quilt is absolutely gorgeous!!! Perfect for the porch, don't you think? Pepper asked me to ask you to let a bit of it hang over for her to lay on too! Great job!
AND I DO SEE THE CIRCLES!!! I didn't until you said it, but it's like those pictures years ago that you had to kind of not look at to see the jumping dolphins!!!
Jim will love his quilt, for sure! You are such a big hearted person.

Leslie said...

oh my goodness this post has me cracking up!! you are so funny! i love the first quilt...and you are right random really is not random at all. Your neptune top is
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!! i absolutely can see the circles. Was this hard? Did you use a pattern for this? I love it!

Magpie Sue said...

Oooo, your sultry quilt is gorgeous! Good job! (And you're right about random rarely being truly random.) Good luck finishing up the signature quilt :- )