4/16/09

I'm Going Back To Bed...

Ok, so I'm a little late to the vintage bed sheet party. I was busy picking out the right outfit and getting my hair did. But now that I'm here, let's get this party started! Oowah! Oowah!
So I have this sheet from when I was a little girl. I'm sure you'd recognize it, green and orange and yellow, with butterflies and blades of grass. I'd show you a picture of it, but of course I can't find it now. Story of my life. But in the spirit of the Beatles, I've got a driver and that's a start. I now have a stack of beautiful fat quarters, bought from the
 lovely WhimsieDots.
  Ok, that one is a crappy picture taken at my keyboard at work, but I was just so excited! Here's a better one.
 Aren't they fabulous? This one's my favorite.
 No, THIS is my favorite.
 No, no, wait... THIS one...
Aww hell. I love them all. Don't make me choose. 
It'll be Sophie's Choice all over again. I love old sheets. I love how incredibly soft and silky then get. These have that feeling. 
When I was a kid, my bedroom was on the side of the house, and the afternoon sun came right in my window. I have very clear, vivid memories of laying on my bed in the hot sun, reading books and smelling the wonderful fabric softener smell of the warm sheets. Mmm... heaven.
 Now I live in the middle of a redwood forest and I can count the number of hours of sun we get on one hand. Maybe now I'll be able to capture back that summery feeling when I whip it all into a quilt! Light and breezy and soft, soft, soft. Ooo I can't wait. 
Now if I could only find that sheet. 
On another front, over the weekend I wanted to sew something. Just sew something for the sake of the needle and thread, without worrying too much about where it was going or what it would be. So I figured, hey! Let's sew some curves! I got out Stack A New Deck and started chopping it up. This is the result... 
Or maybe this? 
The possibilities are ENDLESS! And really easy to make! I'm liking this book. Seriously, I highly recommend it. You know, if you're looking for a quilting book. Not if you're looking for a 800 page novel. Although I have been known to read my quilting books in bed. What? They've got a good plot!
So I guess this wants to be a quilt top after all. Maybe just a few more blocks... 
I can stop any time I want...

2 comments:

shabby girl said...

You are amazing! AND, I love the vintage sheet fabric! I know you'll do something special with it! You just gotta be U!

Magpie Sue said...

"I can stop any time I want..."
SURE you can. (I'm not buying it sister!)

I wish I could find some of those vintage sheets - to put on my bed! I LOVE floral sheets and they're just not available anymore. The ones I still own are so worn the flowers are almost gone from where my body hits the bed. I have been reduced to sleeping on solid colors again :-(