2/25/09

It's Alllllll About Da Pup

So I went to Wordle and entered my blog. Nice! Some things you'd expect, Quilt and Fabric were big words. Also Burro, which amused me to no end. I don't think the word burro is used enough these days. BUT! the sad thing was that the word Pepper was sooooo tiny! About the same size as Santa or kittens and come on, it's not a blog about Santa and his kittens! Dang, I've repeated them again, so now they'll be even bigger! Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Pepper, Petunia, Pepper, Princess Pepper Pot, Pepper, PEPPER, PEPPER!! And to add a little emphasis, here's some pictures of the Princess.
Snoozing in a pile of blankets. Like ya do. I just want to kiss the top of her shiny little head right now! Mmwah! Mmwah!
Some people at work were thrown the other day when I said that my dog has a dermatologist. I know, I know. I don't have a dermatologist. I don't think anyone I know has a dermatologist. (Dang it, now it's going to be a dermatologist blog). And believe me, I didn't want to be the person who's dog had a doggie dermatologist. I put it off as long as I could. But she has allergies! Horrible allergies. Food allergies and inhaled allergies. Oh, and flea allergies. She's basiacally allergic to everything. We tried all kinds of things with our regular vet. 
There was a point where we gave 
her allergy shots in the back of her neck every three days. That was fun. It started out fine, but after a few weeks, she would yelp, and then I would yelp, and it became such a stressful event. She was on antihistamines FOREVER, which sort of worked a bit, but made her sleep all the time. She was on steroids, which worked beautifully, but we all know what they do to your body. At her worst, she was completely bald from her chin down her neck, all across her belly, and down her butt and legs. And the skin was really elephant-like, course and lumpy and scaly. It's a good thing 
she's the most beautiful girl in the world, or else she would have been one fuggly dog. And she itched all the time. I mean, ALL THE TIME!!! 
So finally, finally we went to the doggie dermatologist. Wasn't cheap, let me tell you that. But they gave her a boatload of pills to treat the chronic infections that she had from scratching so much, and put her on a vegan diet. Then after a month she started taking Atopica. It's a drug that was developed to keep humans from rejecting transplanted organs, but someone figured out that it would be good for allergies too, and DANG! It is night and day. She's like a whole new dog. Sleek and shiny and covered with thick, gorgeous fur. Not sleepy all the time, not scratching at all, she got a whole new lease on life. If any of you have a dog with severe allergies, talk to your vet about Atopica. 
I'm just sayin. Miracle worker.
So let's see where THIS puts us in the Pepper blog! Pepper, Pepper, Pepper..... 

1 comment:

shabby girl said...

Couldn't you just weep at the miracle of having found that THING that puts her back in the "norm" of her life(???) and weep for the time it took to get there!!!
And what is it about a dog on fabric that is sssooooo incredibly CUTE!!!???